We are building a culture of genuine inclusion to support the success of women in the firm. We are well on our way to achieving our goal of 35% female partners by 2022.
We've been recognised by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality for the past 15 years, reflecting our commitment and action in building a culture where all our people can thrive and reach their full potential.
Gender diversity and inclusion in action
- Our career model, policies and initiatives have been developed with an emphasis on the engagement, professional development and promotion of women in the firm.
- We have a strong and high-profile networking and mentoring group, Women at Allens, which is chaired by senior partners in each office.
- Allens was one of the first organisations in Australia to become a signatory to the UN Women’s Empowerment Principles. We are a signatory to the Law Council of Australia's National Equitable Briefing Policy which aims to eliminate briefing practices that consciously or unconsciously limit opportunities for female barristers, and a signatory to the Council's Diversity and Equality Charter.
- Allens is also a signatory to the NSW Law Society's Charter for the Advancement of Women in the Legal Profession.
- 93% of Allens' people feel their immediate manager supports gender equality
- Allens is proud to offer a best practice new parents package that removes the distinction between primary and non-primary (secondary) carers and gives all employees the time and flexibility they need to create strong family connections. The package includes 18 weeks paid parental leave and gives all eligible employees the opportunity to take concurrent leave with their partner.
- Allens new parents package allows flexibility in the way leave can be taken and provides superannuation on both the paid and unpaid components of parental leave. For lawyers returning from more than three months parental leave, the package includes a temporary break from billable expectations.
- Allens aims to have more men taking part in longer-term parental leave with the view of normalising caring behaviour and responsibilities, creating clear role models and breaking down stigma to reset social norms.
- Allens provides 1:1 parental leave transition coaching, a group coaching parents' program, priority placement at onsite childcare centres and access to external childcare and eldercare toolkits.