We celebrate diversity in all of its forms, to create a productive, vibrant and inclusive environment.
Our Indigenous ‘Reconciliation Action Plan’ acknowledges and promotes the actions we are committed to closing the gap.
Our Indigenous Employee Network (IEN) provides support to its members and offers consolidated advice to the department on workplace issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff. The IEN partners with other parts of the department to ensure recruitment, retention and career development opportunities are provided to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff within the department.
We recognise and support Indigenous Australians through various annual events including:
- NAIDOC Week events
- Eddie Mabo Day
- National Reconciliation week,
- Coming of the Light,
- International Day of the Worlds Indigenous People,
- National Sorry Day,
- Close the Gap Day,
- The Anniversary of the Apology, and
- Australia Day – known to many Indigenous people as Survival day.
The department supports employment opportunities managed by other APS agencies including:
- the Indigenous Australian Government Development Program,
- Indigenous Intern Program, and
- 2021 Indigenous Graduate Pathway delivered by the Australian Public Service Commission