As a legal practice graduate, you will have the opportunity to work within the Australian Government Solicitor (AGS) with some of Australia's foremost legal minds on matters of national significance.
Australian Government Solicitor (AGS) is the Australian Government’s central legal practice and is part of the department. We help Commonwealth clients to manage legal issues, navigate new challenges and find solutions which deliver the best outcomes for Australia. We are a self-funded legal practice and compete for our work.
- AGS IS UNIQUE. AGS is dedicated to the national interest and is a trusted adviser to Government.
- AGS IS INNOVATIVE. Drawing on an exceptional depth of experience and expertise, we assist the Australian Government in the development and implementation of solutions to legal issues that have national importance.
- AGS IS DIVERSE. With offices in every capital city and a team of 650 staff, including 370 lawyers, we work in more than 40 different areas of law related to government.
AGS delivers services through three national legal practices:
- AGS Commercial (corporate and commercial law)
- AGS Dispute Resolution (dispute resolution and litigation)
- The Office of General Counsel (OGC) (government and administrative law)
You will get the opportunity to work with an in-house legal team within a Commonwealth agency and also with a community legal centre/charitable organisation as part of our pro bono program. You will be mentored and will have access to a variety of learning and development activities, including the opportunity to complete your practical legal training to be admitted to practice.
During the program you will rotate across our three practice areas where you will get the opportunity to work with many of Australia’s best government lawyers, including our two in-house Queen’s Counsel.
To be eligible for the legal practice stream you must:
- be an Australian citizen.
- have completed (or be completing your degree by December 2020) a Bachelor of Laws or a Juris Doctor within the past four years (on or after December 2016) with strong academic results (distinction average).
- be eligible to enrol in a practical legal training course that leads to admission in Australia; eligible for admission in Australia; or admitted to practice in Australia.
All legal practice graduate positions are based in Canberra. The Legal Practice (Australian Government Solicitor) Stream may offer limited roles in other States.
Financial assistance may be offered where graduates are relocating from their home state.