Aurecon proudly supports Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) people in the workplace. We promote active inclusion of LGBTI members of the community in an environment that enables diverse LGBTI and non-LGBTI people to interact comfortably and authentically, supported by Aurecon to develop to their full professional potential.
In January 2019, Aurecon became the first consulting engineer in New Zealand to be Rainbow Tick certified. The Rainbow Tick is a quality improvement cycle designed to make an organisation a safe, welcoming and inclusive place for people of diverse gender identity and sexual orientation.
Our LGBTI inclusion action plan aims to provide a genuine duty of care to our people and allow our employees to be authentic and ensure that Aurecon’s values are lived by creating a safe, respectful and inclusive environment for all.
We strive to address the significant underrepresentation of LGBTI members in STEM through championing a ‘LGBT+ in STEM’ professional networking group in New Zealand. The group is a support platform for diversity and inclusion to improve the visibility of LGBTI in workplaces. Aurecon is also proud of its partnership in Australia with Pride in Diversity for LGBTI inclusion and holds Bronze Employer status, in good company with KPMG, Coles, and Qantas.
Fully supported and engaged by Aurecon’s leadership, there are several Aurecon initiatives to promote LGBTI inclusion. Some of these are:
- Auditing and updating of human resources policies and practices to ensure LGBTI inclusion
- Including same-sex families and relationships within Aurecon’s parental and Shared Care benefits and programmes
- Developing transgender guidelines and a programme to support those transitioning while at Aurecon
- A programme of LGBTI awareness and ally training delivered by accredited LGBTI trainers
- Acknowledging and raising awareness on days of significance such as the annual ‘Wear It Purple Day’
- Being a signatory to the Australian Marriage Equality campaign