Comprising the Navy, Army and Air Force, the Australian Defence Force is a modern, people-focused organisation; and one of Australia's major employers.
The Australian Defence Force is one of the world's leading military organisations. We fulfil key defensive roles as well as providing a range of peacetime services.
The ADF provides a formidable military capability built upon expertly-trained personnel and technically-advanced vessels, vehicles, aircraft and weapons. Working in close cooperation, the Navy, Army and Air Force are tasked with the defence of:
- our nation, its borders and coastline
- our people and their values, and
- our way of life.
In addition to defending our nation, the ADF supports a broad range of operations in Australia and overseas, including:
- supporting international security and counter-terrorism initiatives
- protecting our borders from illegal activity and incursions
- supporting humanitarian and peacekeeping operations, and
- helping communities affected by natural disasters.
You'll find the ADF located right across Australia and on vessels worldwide. Personnel may also be deployed overseas on combat, disaster relief, peacekeeping and aid provision operations.