The Digital Graduate Program gives you an opportunity to excel in a digital or technical career after you’ve graduated from university. As a recent graduate, you’ll have an opportunity to further develop your skills while working for the Australian Government.
Who is this program for?
The Digital Graduate Program is for Australian citizens who've completed a university degree in a digital or technical field within the last 5 years or will complete their degree in the current year.
We are looking for people who want to use their digital skills to build a better Australia.
If you've studied one of the listed degrees then you should consider applying.
Double and honours degrees in these fields are also accepted.
If your degree is not listed but you believe it's suited to a digital graduate placement please get in touch to discuss your options.
What you’ll get to work on
Government agencies have many different digital and technical roles. These roles support the core functions of each agency. Past graduates have worked in:
- cyber security
- digital media
- user research
- interactive media
- software engineering
- big data
- networking systems analysis and design
- web development
- data analytics
- systems testing
- infrastructure support
- applications development.
To learn more about how the digital skills you have gained at university apply to digital roles in government, you can access the Australian Public Service Career Pathfinder tool. The tool allows you to explore digital roles based on your current skills and interests, and shows you the skills you might need to land a job that interests you.
Graduate locations vary. Past graduates have worked in:
- Canberra (majority of positions)
You may be eligible for relocation assistance if you need to move to another city for a graduate placement.
Who you’ll be working for
Positions will be available across the Australian Public Service. Agencies vary each year and agency participation is through opt-in basis. Please visit the Australian Government Graduate Portal for information regarding participating agencies.
In a graduate job you’ll get:
- full-time permanent employment
- pending a successful probation period
- post-graduate qualification in digital technology for government
- career coaching and mentoring
- flexible working arrangements
- competitive salary and super
- membership to the Australian Computing Society (ACS)
- access to private training about emerging digital trends.
In the graduate program you may undertake rotations through various digital areas and roles.
Support and coaching
You will have support from your supervisor and a dedicated career liaison to give you the best chance of success.
Your supervisor will provide guidance and feedback on day-to-day tasks and help you understand how your work is contributing to the agency’s goals. As a graduate you’ll:
- do meaningful work from day one
- be asked to contribute
- be recognised for your perspective
- see the impact you can make in the Australian community we serve.
Your career liaison will help you with your studies and job skills. They will help guide your professional development towards a successful and rewarding career.
You will also get to network with other participants and develop professional relationships that will support you throughout your career.
How to apply
Applications for the 2022 program will open 9 March 2021 and close on 12 April 2021.
When applications are open, the application form will be available in the jobs section of our website
You'll need these documents to apply:
- proof of Australian Citizenship (Birth Certificate or Passport) or application to become an Australian citizen
- passport size photo
- a copy of your university transcript
- a resume.
Eligible candidates will be:
- an Australian citizen by no later than 30 June 2021. Citizen applicants must have been invited to attend their citizenship ceremony before applying.
- have completed an eligible digital Australian bachelor’s degree (qualifications Framework Level 7 qualification Bachelor degree) ,or equivalent or higher by 31 December 2021
- have completed their eligible digital qualification no more than 5 years ago from the date that the application is lodged
- be able to obtain and maintain a valid Australian Government security clearance once accepted into the program where required
- be willing to undergo any Police, character, health or other checks required.
There are 3 stages of the application assessment process:
- we will review your responses to the assessment questions looking at how best skills and attributes have been demonstrated for digital roles
- we will review your work-related qualities to perform duties.
If our selection panel finds suitable qualities, you will be shortlisted for an online interview. If you are not shortlisted, you will be notified by email as soon as possible.
Online panel interview
You will be asked behavioural and scenario-base questions to demonstrate skills and abilities.
If you are found suitable you will be placed in the merit pool. If you are placed in the merit pool you may be invited at a later stage to the speed matching round. In both cases you will be notified by email of the outcome.
If you were not suitable you will be notified by email as soon as possible.
Online speed matching
This is a short online session with staff from all participating agencies. It’s an opportunity to showcase your skills and find out more about the agencies and what they are looking for. This is also an opportunity for agencies to review your skills and interest.
You will be asked to preference agencies you would like to be a graduate in. Agencies will also preference graduates they would like to hire. We will review all preferences and work with agencies to assist them make offers for roles.
Often there are more graduates than agencies. If you are not matched with an agency you will be placed on a merit pool for future consideration, which will remain open for 12 months.
The complete application assessment process usually takes around 5 months from the time applications close.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
Computer Science, Data Science and Analytics,...
- Work rights:
Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne
- POSITION START DATE
Jan 2022 (approx)
- Program Duration
- Closing Date:12th Apr 2021, 1:30 pm