The Department of Defence has partnered with us to provide a crucial career development opportunity — the Australian Defence Force (ADF) Cyber Gap Program.
If you’re already studying or currently enrolling in a cyber-related qualification, Defence can offer you generous financial support, along with a two week cyber experience placement to give valuable insight into how you can protect Australia’s online systems and information. Once you’re qualified, you could find yourself working with Defence or a government agency in a cyber-related role, or perhaps you’ll find work within the broader cyber industry. Either way, you’ll enhance your cyber skills, and learn more about what makes a career with the Australian Defence Force so rewarding.
How is this different to our other programs?
Committing to a period of Defence service is a pretty big deal. We get that. The flexible thing about this program is that there is no obligation to serve. While you study, you can immerse yourself in a short work experience placement with Defence in a cyber-related role, so you’ll have the chance to decide whether a Defence career is something you’d like to pursue. You can even keep working in your current job while participating in the program.
And it works both ways — while there’s no guarantee of a job with Defence or a government agency at the end of your studies (though you are certainly encouraged to apply), you can also choose to find work elsewhere in the cyber security industry if you find it’s not your thing. It’s flexible.
Who is this program for?
The ADF Cyber Gap Program is for Australian citizens who are already enrolled in cyber-related studies. The Cyber Gap Program runs for 12 months. In order to apply, you need to be studying for the duration of the 12-month program, you can be working towards any eligible qualification at the Certificate IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Graduate Certificate levels either part-time or full-time.
If you’re currently studying or considering studying one of the listed qualifications at our website, you should think about applying.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about cyber security and interested in learning more about how to turn it into a career supporting the Australian Defence Force.
More opportunities for you
All Australians have a role to play in protecting the nation against cyber threats.
The ADF Cyber Gap Program may expose participants to careers in the following areas:
- threat emulation
- cyberspace operations planning
- discovery and counter-infiltration
- incident response
- network vulnerability assessment
- protecting and hardening networks
- data collection and analysis
- network recovery
- incident mitigation strategy development.
During this 12-month program you’ll get:
- generous financial support with your course fees, textbooks and stationery costs covered, as well as an academic allowance to assist with your other costs
- travel costs for the screening and recruitment process, your work experience placements and any other Defence engagement travel opportunities
- work experience in cyber-related roles
- professional membership to the Australian Computer Society
- networking opportunities with a range of Defence cyber subject matter experts, as well as peer networking with participants of various government digital programs
- cyber security career mentoring sessions
- guidance preparing professional cyber job applications.
Mentoring and planning
Throughout your studies, you’ll have the chance to meet with program mentors to discuss work opportunities in Defence and other government agencies. This mentoring is vital in helping you decide what path your career will take — even if it doesn’t end up in the public sector.
Preparing for your application
The following documents will be required to complete your application:
- Proof of Australian citizenship (copy of passport, birth certificate or citizenship certificate)
- Academic transcript or proof of enrolment in an eligible qualification
- Current resume
- Passport style photograph.
Please make sure you have copies of these documents at hand to upload into your application.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about starting a digital career with the Australian Government you can email [email protected] or call 02 6120 8701.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
Computer Science, Cyber Security, Defence, Information...
Canberra, Sydney, Darwin,...
- Closing Date:10th Nov 2020, 12:59 pm