Stepping Into internships are typically held over the winter and summer breaks each year, so opportunities are advertised in the months leading up (usually March for winter opportunities, and September for summer opportunities).
As with any job opportunity, the first step is to submit an application for the role you’d like to be considered for. You will need to provide a cover letter outlining your interest, your resume, your academic transcript and proof of eligibility (see eligibility requirements).
You will then be invited to participate in a briefing session with the Australian Network on Disability (AND). The briefing session is an opportunity to learn more about the program, the role you have applied for, and gain some helpful advice on how to get the most out of your internship. This session also forms part of our screening process, so it is important to come prepared to talk about why this position is right for you.
AND is responsible for shortlisting candidates for the interview stage with each employer. You will be advised by AND whether you have been shortlisted for the role as soon as possible once applications close. If you have been shortlisted, the next step is to attend an interview with the employer.
If you are successful in gaining an internship, AND will offer support and guidance throughout the course of your placement. Training will also be provided to your direct supervisor on how to best support you in the workplace.
- The Stepping Into Program is specifically for students with disability. Students must provide proof of eligibility in the form of an access plan (reasonable adjustment plan), or evidence from a medical practitioner. Applications must include relevant disability information, as well as information regarding adjustments or modifications required for you to complete program. AND will work with you to ensure the adjustments you require are provided, and provide advice on available options. Please note: We do not provide disability related information to the employer. We will only pass on information regarding adjustments or modifications
- Applicants must be enrolled in their penultimate (second last) or final year of a relevant degree at a recognised tertiary institution. Please note that every employer has their own eligibility and selection criteria which will be outlined with the position descriptions for each employer. Please read information carefully pursuant to the relevant opportunities;
- Applicants must not be on a leave of absence from their studies at the time of application (e.g. deferred, working full time, etc);
- Applicants must be committed and prepared to participate fully in the program and be available to attend a student briefing conducted by AND before starting the program;
- Most of the internships require students to be Australian citizens or permanent residents. Some employers will accept applications from international students with working rights, verified by a current VEVO. Please check the eligibility criteria for each employer before submitting an application.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not applied for or participated in the Stepping Into program previously.