Cumberland City Council is located within the fast-growing Central City District and is on the doorstep of two of Greater Sydney’s new cities, between the Greater Parramatta and Olympic Park (GPOP) area and the new Western Parkland City. The Central City District is benefiting from unprecedented city-scale infrastructure investments, making this an exciting time to join Cumberland.
Located 20km west of Sydney on Dharug country, with a population of 240,000 residents, Cumberland is the fourth most populous LGA in Greater Sydney. Cumberland boasts one of the most diverse communities in Australia, with people from many different backgrounds and cultures living alongside one another.
Our people are focused on driving community outcomes, programs and services to innovate, inspire and deliver change for the community we represent.
Cumberland City Council adheres to the principles of a child safe organisation and is committed to the care and protection of all children and young people. Council has worked hard to fulfil its community’s vision for Cumberland as a place where anyone can feel welcome, belong and succeed.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Development and Building team ensure effective, timely and accurate assessment and processing of preliminary proposals, applications and referrals.
Cumberland City Council are looking for a Development Planner to join the team! The Development Planner will perform assessment and processing of statutory planning applications including provision of technical comments and conditions, prelodgement applications, preparation of planning and development assessment reports, where required assist with duty enquiries, coordinate legal/court matters arising from the development assessment process and/or compliance matters, exercise the statutory powers, duties.
Reporting to the Coordinator Fast Track Development Assessment, you will work in with a team to assess and process development applications, provide written and verbal advice to members of the public and staff.
The successful applicant will require:
- Degree in Town Planning or equivalent with eligibility for membership to the Planning Institute of Australia.
- Development assessment experience in local government with demonstrated understanding of the relevant legislations.
- Class C Driver’s License.
- An understanding of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979, Local Government Act and other relevant legislation.
- Demonstrated ability, to communicate effectively with management and staff at all levels of the organisation and with external contacts.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Well-developed written and communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines on a daily basis with possession of excellent time management skills.
Please click here to view our Position Description for more information.
Position information: This is a permanent, full-time position, working a 70 hour fortnight, with access to Council's 9 day fortnight Accrued Day Off (ADO) arrangement.
This role is predominantly located at Council's Merrylands and Auburn office, with frequent travel required across Council worksites, and may be required to work across any of Council’s work locations.
Salary information: The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with the NSW Local Government (State) Award.
- Grade 11 of the Cumberland Salary Structure with a salary range of $1,584.79 to $1,822.51 per week, plus 10.5% superannuation
- The commencing salary will be negotiated, taking into consideration the successful applicant's qualifications, skills and experience related to the role
- Car allowance of $10,733.06 per annum
- Mobile phone.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
- We promote work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements including working from home opportunities
- Training and professional development opportunities available to develop skills and grow your career
- Leave entitlements including annual leave, 15 days personal leave per year, parental leave and access to Long Service Leave after five (5) years (where applicable)
- Three (3) additional grant days of paid leave over Christmas (where applicable)
- Health and Wellbeing Programs to support our staff by providing access to online professional learning, paid leave to undertake annual skin checks, COVID-19 vaccinations and to donate blood
- Subsidies to assist with the cost of wellness and fitness activities
- Free access to Council owned swimming pools
- Access to Council's Fitness Passport Program and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Council is committed to providing an accessible, safe and inclusive workplace for all. If you require additional support or any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, please let us know during the application process.
Successful applicants must be eligible to work in Australia and agree to provide information for pre-employment checks required for the position. This may include criminal record checks, qualification and licence checks, and proof of the right to work in Australia (please refer to the position description for the specific qualifications and requirements for this role). Copies of sighted documents will be kept by Council for its records as proof of verification.
Council's COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure has been designed and adopted to protect the health and safety of our people, our customers and the community. It is a condition of employment that all applicants produce evidence of their vaccination status as part of the employment screening process.
Enquiries: Telephone Bhavisha Sheth on 8757 9578 for further information.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Thursday 26 January 2023
HOW TO APPLY
To submit your application for this position, please complete the questionnaire below. On the following page you'll be asked to attach your resume and any relevant qualifications (if required) to complete your application. Make sure you have these attachments ready before you apply as your application cannot be submitted until completed. You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
- Disciplines:Architecture, Design and User Experience, Industrial...
- Locations:New South Wales,...
- Closing Date:27th Jan 2023, 12:00 am