Department: Environment and Development Services
Reports to: Manager Planning and Regulation
Salary Range: $79,552 - $90,784 pa + superannuation and monthly RDO
Graduates encouraged to apply! Kick start your planning career with Council.
Warrumbungle Shire is strategically positioned on the Newell Highway, a short drive from Tamworth, Mudgee and Dubbo, and just over 3 hours from Newcastle, making Warrumbungle Shire a great place to live and work. Covering an area of more than 12,000km², and with a population of nearly 10,000, Warrumbungle Shire Council is one of the larger Local Government Areas in Central West NSW, home to the townships of Coonabarabran, Coolah, Dunedoo, Binnaway, Baradine and Mendooran.
With a rich history and stunning landscapes including spectacular mountain ranges, waterfalls, ancient sandstone caves, gorges, and beautiful plains, our scenic location amongst friendly country communities provides an ideal setting for those looking to balance a country lifestyle and career.
This position is located in the beautiful town of Coonabarabran, known as the Astronomy Capital of Australia, which is midway between Melbourne and Brisbane and is known for its magnificent landscape and stunning night skies. The town has medical services, excellent schools, a variety of sporting and social clubs and a thriving tourism industry. With the nearby Warrumbungle National Park, which is also Australia’s first Dark Sky Park, there is plenty to do and explore whether you’re looking for adventure or relaxation.
At Warrumbungle Shire Council we offer a broad variety of jobs with a range of benefits and career development opportunities within Local Government. The guiding principles of honesty, integrity, fairness and compassion form the spirit of the team along with respect, transparency, passion, trust and opportunity is how Warrumbungle Shire Council strengthens its working environment to deliver on the aspirations of our community. We are an EEO Employer with a commitment to our staff and our vision is Excellence in Local Government.
Benefits of working for Council
Council are committed to creating a positive working environment and offer a range of benefits for staff, including
- Long Service Leave after 5 years
- Monthly RDO
- Support for training and professional development
- Salary Packaging options to maximise your take-home pay
- Vehicle available for work purposes
Council’s Town Planner, with support from the Manager, who is also a qualified Town Planner, is responsible for the implementation and oversight of all relevant local government and associated legislation as it applies to the Shire and the Environment and Development Services Division. The incumbent will provide positive input towards the branch budget and ensure timely implementation of programs in accordance with the budget and Management Plan.
The Town Planner also provides advisory services to the Director and other Directors and Managers within the organisation as well as providing assistance with coordinating and planning activities and programs within the Planning and Regulation department.
Graduates encouraged to apply.
- Commitment to Council’s Mission, Values and Code of Conduct
- Understanding of work health and safety (WHS) in the workplace and commitment to a positive contribution to WHS in the workplace and compliance with Council and legislative requirements
- Qualifications that enable membership of the Planning Institute of Australia as a Town Planner
- Demonstrated high level oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer operations, including word processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Class C NSW Drivers Licence
- At least 12 months’ post-qualification relevant work experience, preferably in a multi-functional Local Government environment
- Experience in Local Government Health, Building and Environmental Management principles
- Demonstrated budget preparation and financial management skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of WH&S and EEO legislation
- WorkCover OHS Construction Induction Certificate (“whitecard”)
Applicants should note that Criminal History Checks, as well as alcohol and drug testing, are conditions of employment.
Applications close at 11.00 pm Sunday 12 February 2023. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
For enquiries, please contact Human Resources on 6849 2000.
How to apply
Please provide sufficient detail in your answers to the questions as this information is used to assess your suitability for interview.
- Scroll down and complete the fields below. Note: Fields marked with a red asterisk* are mandatory.
- Click ‘Next’
- Attach your resume, covering letter and copies of your qualifications
- Click ‘Next’
- Review your application and click ‘Confirm’ to submit your completed application
You will receive an email acknowledgement to confirm receipt of your application. You will receive email notifications regarding the status of your application. It is important that you regularly check your email to ensure you do not miss any notifications from Council.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
- Disciplines:Architecture, Design and User Experience, Industrial...
- Locations:New South Wales,...
- Closing Date:13th Feb 2023, 12:00 am