Applications are now open now for economics graduates!
Do you have a university qualification and a desire to make a difference for all Australians? We want to hear from graduates with tertiary qualifications in economics, econometrics or other relevant fields such as finance, commerce, mathematics, statistics, data science or engineering. Join us and apply now!
At the Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE), we are passionate about creating opportunities and driving better outcomes for people, through education, skills and employment pathways.
The Department of Education, Skills and Employment (DESE) and its people are at the forefront of Australian labour market analysis and policy development. By providing economic and labour market advice to portfolio Ministers and the Australian Government, the Department’s work directly impacts on the lives of Australians. DESE economics graduates are involved in core work and are given real responsibility from the start.
Our economics roles will help shape economic and policy deliberations on diverse topics such as the evolving skills landscape, labour productivity, wages growth, and the future of work. The roles will further develop your technical skills via exposure to diverse analytical techniques, economic models, and complex datasets.
Our economics graduates are engaged across the whole department with rotation opportunities available in policy, program delivery and technical areas. Graduates are involved in conducting evidence-based research and analysis which supports our Ministers and other stakeholders and enables them to make informed decisions.
As an economics graduate, you have the opportunity to:
- Help shape economic and policy deliberations on diverse topics such as the evolving skills landscape, labour productivity, wages growth, and the future of work.
- Contribute towards analysis that helps support disadvantaged labour market cohorts such as young workers, the long-term unemployed, those with a disability, and mature aged workers.
- Further develop your technical skills via exposure to diverse analytical techniques, economic models, and complex datasets.
- Be mentored by some of the best economists, data scientists, and policy analysts within the public service — Our economics graduates have a strong track record of promotion, with many previous graduates going on to senior positions in DESE and other agencies such as the Treasury and the RBA.
Who we are Looking For
We are looking for graduates who are enthusiastic, energetic and have a strong background in economics, econometrics or other relevant fields such as finance, commerce, mathematics, statistics, data science or engineering. We are seeking candidates who have a strong work ethic, strong written and oral communication skills and well-developed interpersonal skills.
In addition to the eligibility criteria for graduates in our generalist stream, we are looking for graduates who have:
- Tertiary qualifications in economics ,econometrics or another relevant field of study such as finance, commerce, mathematics, statistics, data science or engineering.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to actively engage with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and an attitude that is open to learning and innovation.
- If you choose the economist pathway as your preference in the application process, you will also be considered for the generalist pathway as well.
As a DESE Graduate, you will be exposed to many facets of our portfolio as you build your capability during the Program.
Being part of a graduate cohort is a great way for you to transition from education to employment. We know firsthand the significance of this milestone and you'll find our graduate program connects you to friendly, experienced professionals who will help you apply your skills and knowledge as you start your career.
The DESE Graduate Program is a ten-month program and runs from February to December each year. As a DESE Graduate you will experience:
- a holistic view of working in a government agency through two allocated work placements,
- a formal learning and development program (including a Graduate Certificate in Public Administration),
- on-the-job experience and the opportunity to work with and learn from subject matter experts.
- a range of formal and on-the-job training activities designed to provide you with the tools to develop as an APS officer,
- working in a supportive, inclusive and flexible working environment, and
- various opportunities to be involved in a wide range of networks, social and fundraising events.
The DESE Graduate program also offers:
- relocation assistance to move to Canberra (subject to COVID-19 public health and travel advice at the time you start).
- permanent ongoing employment in the Australian Public Service,
- career progression from APS Level 3.1 to APS Level 5.1 on successful completion of the program
- support from a buddy/alumni,
- an Employee Assistance Program for wellbeing and career support,
- dedicated buddy and supervisor
- a dedicated Graduate Sponsor passionate about seeing you thrive.
Positions are primarily located in Canberra however some opportunities may be available in our State Offices.
Education and jobs are central to Australia’s COVID-19 recovery and our department has a big program of work to deliver. That is why It is an exciting time to join DESE.
Join us as we work to implement transformative government policies and programs and draw on the best research and evidence to improve education and employment outcomes for Australians. Not only are we looking for strategic, fresh-thinking, innovative and high performing graduates, but also, we’re looking for graduates that are enthusiastic, motivated and open to learning.
Additionally, flexibility and interpersonal skills are key attributes that will help you be successful in your graduate year and beyond as you apply your degree in ways you never imagined!
If you have a desire to work for a department that informs evidence-based policy which aims to help develop and improve outcomes for Australians, we want to hear from you.
Further information about our graduate program, including what we offer our graduates, is available on our website: https://www.dese.gov.au/graduate-and-entry-level-programs/graduate-program
Note: From 1 July 2022 DESE will become the Department of Education and a new entity will be created called the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations. The core purpose of both departments remains the same, that is, to create opportunities and drive better outcomes for people, through education, skills and employment pathways. Through this recruitment process, we are seeking graduates for both departments, and if successful, you may be offered a position in either department.
- Job type:Entry Level Jobs
Arts and Humanities, Banking and Finance,...
- Work rights:
- Work from home:
Employees are allowed to work remotely some of the time but most of the work is done at the company’s physical office. Remote work is considered a perk or a privilege. For example, an employee may work from home for 1-2 days per week.
Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane,...
- Program Duration
- POSITION START DATE
Feb 2023 (approx)
- Closing Date:3rd Jul 2022, 1:59 pm