Welcome to the Department of Finance. Finance is a central agency in the Australian Public Service (APS) which plays a key role in supporting the government's agenda.
If you are looking for a challenging position with real responsibility and supportive colleagues, then consider a place on our team. You’ll gain exposure to a wide variety of work and access to key decision makers, with the government’s agenda at the heart of everything you do.
Our responsibility for advancing public sector reform is delivering excellence and value – ultimately enabling the government of the day to deliver and provide for all Australian citizens.
Finance drives delivery of the Australian Government’s Budget, advising on new policies and programs across government and supports all agencies through the Budget process.
But at Finance we do so much more. You’ll be providing input and offering advice on a range of things including:
- the financial impacts, risks and merits of new policy proposals from across all government portfolios
- the government's financial framework
- managing the government’s shareholding in its assets
- delivering a range of tools and services to assist the work of parliamentarians and their staff
- the government’s engagement with Government Business Enterprises such as the Australian Postal Corporation and Defence Housing Australia
- modernising the public sector through better services to citizens and businesses
- whole-of-government procurement
- risk management
- general insurance services to other government agencies.
When you work with us, be prepared to make an impact - with the way you work, the solutions you offer and the unique skillset you bring.
Here at Finance, we recognise that our people are at the centre of the work we do and it is important that Finance staff feel valued and are happy to come to work each day. To make this a reality, we continue to build a positive, collaborative, innovative and curious culture.
Work forms only one facet of our lives. Finance supports flexibility and takes into account the diversity of employees and their individual circumstances. Our workplace has been designed to foster a mobile and collaborative style of working.
We have an inclusive workforce which attracts, retains and supports employees from all diversity groups. We believe we are stronger and more productive if we fully develop and utilise the capabilities and experiences of people from varied backgrounds.
We have five diversity related networks which contribute to the positive culture of the department. These networks are the:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Network.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex Plus Network.
- Ability Network.
- Gender Equity Network.
- Emerging Leader’s Network.
You can also join the Finance Social Club, a team committed to empowering the Finance community to take ownership of and steer the social culture.
In addition, you can become involved in the APS-wide organisation, Social Network of Graduates. This network coordinates a number of social activities and opportunities to meet graduates from across the APS.