Our Graduate Development Program
If you’re looking to start an exciting career, our graduate program will challenge and reward you beyond your imagination.
As a member of our team, you will be supported through two six month work placements. Placements are informed by our high priority work, and where the skills and capabilities of our graduates will be best utilised and developed. To ensure you’ll get exposed to different work and undertake different roles, each placement will be in a different area of the business.
As a graduate, you will join the department as an ongoing employee at the APS3 level and will be paid $63,283 plus 15.4 per cent superannuation. During the program your knowledge will grow, your skills will develop and your capabilities will increase to equip you to advance through the classifications. You will have the opportunity to apply for advancement to the APS4 and APS5 levels during your graduate year.
As a graduate in Finance, you’ll undertake a Graduate Development Program, an integrated learning experience delivered by the Australian Public Service Commission’s Centre of Leadership and Learning. Training provided as part of this program includes face to face workshops, simulations and a major project contributing to enhancing the work of Finance. The program provides opportunity to apply this learning on-the-job, with the support of workplace coaching.
The training will focus on enhancing your existing skills, and developing new skills and capabilities to assist you in your transition into Finance and the broader Australian Public Service (APS).
In addition to training, regular networking opportunities with your graduate cohort, other programs and graduates from other agencies are a great feature of the Program. There are also opportunities to engage with senior executive staff and Finance Ministers.
Successful completion of the program also provides participants with credit towards a Masters Degree in Public Sector Administration Policy, at The Crawford School of Public Policy (Australian National University) and the University of Canberra.
- Make a real contribution by providing high-quality advice to the Government over a wide range of policy and program areas.
- May have the opportunity to work on the Budget as well as diverse and varied projects critical to the government’s agenda.
- Work in a new state of the art building designed to enhance greater collaboration between staff, including an electronic work environment that supports flexibility in the way we work.
- Participate in learning and development opportunities and be given lots of quality training throughout your graduate year and beyond.
- Be supported by a supervisor, the Graduate Coordinator and a buddy who will ease your transition to the department.
- Participate in networking opportunities with senior leaders and graduates from other agencies, as well as meeting our portfolio ministers.
- Finance is committed to looking after its employees and you'll have access to an onsite gym and bike storage facilities.