At Health, our vision is for better health and wellbeing for all Australians, now and for future generations. We acknowledge and respect the importance of the diversity of our workforce, its representation of the community we serve, and the strength it brings to the outcomes we deliver. We are building a culture where flexible working arrangements are for everyone, and the health and wellbeing of our staff is invested in.
We recognise diversity within an organisation has many benefits including increased innovation, improved understanding of-and service to-clients, and attraction of talent from the widest possible pool of potential staff.
The department aims to be a model employer providing an inclusive workplace that is understanding and respectful of differences such as: age, carer responsibilities, cultural background, disability, educational level, ethnicity, gender expression, intersex status, religious beliefs or sexual orientation.
Workplace Diversity Projects
The department is currently running a number of projects to raise awareness of diversity and increase equity in employment. These programs include:
- Reconciliation Action Plan, including the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment and Retention Strategy
- Accessibility Action Plan
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Action Plan (in development)
- Health's Gender Equality Blueprint 2017-20.
Health is also a member of the following best practice organisations and programs:
- Pride in Diversity, encouraging LGBTI inclusion in our workplace
- Gold membership with Australian Network on Disability
- Diversity Council of Australia
- Health participates in the Jawun Indigenous secondment program
- Health works with Reconciliation Australia on the development of our Reconciliation Action Plan.
Health has a number of diversity related staff networks which are supported by members of the Senior Executive Service Champions as a focus for progressing departmental action on diversity issues. Our networks are:
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Network including a Friends of the Network for non-indigenous staff
- Disability and Carers Network
- Health Pride Network
- Gender Equality Network
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Network (CALD Network)