The Department of Health’s Gender Equality Network is an informal staff-led network committed to supporting gender equality and flexible work by advocating for an inclusive culture. We value inclusivity, openness, and empowerment.
Our vision is for all members of staff, regardless of gender or personal circumstances, to have the opportunity to fulfil their potential both professionally and personally.
Key objectives of the network are to effectively build capability across the department to:
- promote gender balance of leadership at all levels;
- challenge typical gender roles;
- provide equal access to development opportunities;
- integrate working styles with societal drivers;
- achieve career goals whilst maintaining a healthy, balanced lifestyle; and
- overcome barriers to advancement.
This will be achieved by:
- Modelling a culture of equality for both women and men and those outside the gender binary;
- Educating others about the importance of a work-life balanced culture;
- Learning from our leaders and champions; and
- Sharing with peers, including across the APS.
The Department has several policies to support staff including flexible working hour arrangements, Home Based Work Guidelines, Domestic and Family Violence Policy as well as favourable working conditions under our Enterprise Agreement.