“As a staff member with disability, I am passionate about driving positive change and raising awareness about disability inclusion in the workplace. The Department has provided me with the opportunities to chair the Focus on Ability Network which is a staff network that is open to anyone interested in advocating for staff with disability and carer’s of people with disability. My managers have supported and encouraged my involvement in these forums and valued my contribution to creating an inclusive workplace.”
Support for staff with Disability
The Department provides support through the following initiatives:
- Participates in the RecruitAbility Scheme, which aims to attract and develop applicants with disability and facilitate cultural changes in selection panels and agency recruitment.
- Disability Action Plan (DAP) which sets out initiatives that will provide staff with disability equal access to development, promotion, services and career opportunities and help to build a more disability confident organisation.
- Member of the Australian Network on Disability (AND), a national organisation that makes it easier for employers to welcome people with disability in all aspects of their business
- Focus on Ability Network, which provides an opportunity for staff with or without disability to meet in an informal and friendly environment, encouraging information sharing, while fostering meaningful relationships.
- Reasonable Adjustments Passports, which assist staff when there is a change in manager or location and ensures key information about those reasonable adjustments are readily available and transferable.
- Disability confidence manager’s toolkit designed to assist managers in supporting staff with disability.
- Committed to increasing mental health awareness and supporting staff who might be experiencing mental health issues, by providing support services and initiatives such as the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Peer Support Network and a Mental Health Plan.
- Assistive Technology Support Hub for staff who require assistive, adaptive and rehabilitative devices and applications.
- Participates in the Dandelion Program, which provides skilled employment opportunities within the Information Communications and Technology (ICT) Division to people on the Autism Spectrum.