We are seeking Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander graduates from a range of disciplines who are motivated to establish their careers while contributing to the Australian community to join the Department’s 16 month Graduate Program. The Department recognises the valuable and significant contribution that can be made by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples through their connection with and responsibility for land, water and heritage.
You will be supported by a cohort of previous Indigenous graduates as well as the Indigenous Staff Network (ISN) who aim to:
- Support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees working in the Department.
- Share information and experiences between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff in the Department.
- Inform the Department of trends or key issues identified through ISN business.
- Promote cultural awareness and respect across the Department.
The best thing about working for us is the workplace culture. To prepare you for the future workforce requirements we will leverage the unique expertise you bring to the organisation and provide you with the skills and experiences you need to fulfil your career with the Department. We have a committed, dynamic and positive workforce where people are supportive, energetic, respected and valued. You will develop your personal and professional skills with interesting and meaningful work, and through our one-on-one mentoring program. Learning and development is encouraged and innovation is critical to achieving our goals.
We look for graduates who can demonstrate:
- Strong people skills and a team focused approach.
- Resilience and the ability to embrace and adapt to change.
- Sound judgment, common sense and the ability to think strategically.
- Energy, enthusiasm and initiative.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
We recruit high achieving and motivated graduates from all disciplines, however we particularly welcome graduates with the following degrees:
Indigenous graduates are encouraged to apply for the graduate program through the online application portal.