Location: Newcastle, NSW
Douglas Partners Pty Ltd is an industry-leading geotechnical, environmental and groundwater consulting firm employing over 500 people throughout 20 offices across Australia. Our corporate purpose is Understanding the Earth and delivering practical solutions to enhance outcomes for our clients, community and environment. We are 100% employee-owned and managed, with a key objective to provide outstanding service to our clients.
Our people are committed to fostering a safe, supportive and cooperative work environment with efficient systems and diversity, who adapt, learn and grow their technical expertise and character to their full potential.
About the Role
DP’s Newcastle office is seeking a vibrant and driven Graduate Environmental Engineer / Scientist to join the team. In this role you will complement our consulting group so that projects continue to run efficiently and effectively, thus ultimately maintaining clients’ satisfaction.
As a Graduate Environmental Engineer / Scientist, you will:
- Assist senior staff on investigation for contaminated sites, groundwater, asbestos, site remediation, acid sulfate soils and waste classification;
- Visit a variety of sites from residential, industrial and rural within the Newcastle and broader area to undertake environmental and geo-environmental assessments;
- Carry out field investigation works including soil, groundwater, surface water and over-water sediment sampling in connection with site assessments;
- Manage a variety subcontractors such as drilling rigs, service locators and traffic control crews to complete the work within allotted timeframes;
- Log the subsurface and contamination conditions whilst undertaking field work;
- Use QGIS and other specialised software to analysis projects and determine solutions;
- Adhere to relevant Work Health and Safety requirements; and
- Prepare proposals and write reports for site investigation and inspections. Report writing skills are developed over many years and DP will assist you and encourage you during your career, with support from experienced colleagues.
Given the variety of project work available throughout the year, there is a mix of field work and office-based time. As such, some projects will provide the unique opportunity to work in remote locations so passion and interest for this is essential!
DP understands that you may not possess much exposure to this type of work – that is why we are renowned in the industry for training, professional development, guidance and mentoring from some of the industry’s leaders to enhance your career pathway.
About the Candidate
To be considered for this role, the successful applicant will:
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Competently operate effectively both in a small team environment and independently;
- Demonstrate a positive ‘can-do’ attitude;
- Operate with a flexible approach to work that may include operating in remote locations;
- Enjoy working outdoors;
- Be a passionate learner;
- Successfully manage multiple priorities with various stakeholders;
- Achieved a Bachelor of Engineer (BE) or Environmental Science degree; and
- Hold a current Australian driver’s licence (Class C) and be able to drive manual vehicles.
Advantages and Benefits of Working for Douglas Partners
Enjoy working for a company that is committed to investing in your future. You will be part of a supportive environment where you will be encouraged to continue your professional development to advance your technical and leadership expertise. We offer generous support for completion of further studies and gaining chartered status.
Our ethos is to allow employees to enjoy the benefits of their efforts. This includes regular salary reviews, an annual bonus system, an overtime system, and potential to become a shareholder. Extended annual leave and superannuation are provided following service milestones.
If you believe you have the ‘right stuff’ to thrive in this role, then please click on the “Apply for this job” button.
With your application please provide the following:
- A brief cover letter;
- A resume and any work experience references; and
- A copy of university transcript.
This position is available to Australian citizens or permanent residents and for commencement immediately, however, we would consider later a start date for stand out candidates who may still be completing their final studies.
(Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted)
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
- Work rights:
New Zealand Citizen, Australian Citizen
- Closing Date:4th Nov 2021, 12:59 pm