Flight Centre Travel Group, responsible tourism, by operating our business in a manner that respects the environment and wildlife, and benefits local people, their cultures and economies. We believe that our first step is to establish a Responsible Travel Charter that maps out our company’s commitment to develop, promote and sell travel that respects human rights, the environment, and social equality. We work closely with preferred suppliers and tour operators to develop and promote responsible holiday options so future generations can experience the world’s natural attractions. It also offers a range of tours built around social and environmental causes, including volunteering options.
Flight Centre Foundation
The Flight Centre Foundation is the heart of the FCTG’s corporate and social responsibility strategy. It provides company employees with a means to support nominated charities through workplace giving and fundraising initiatives. All staff donations are matched dollar-for-dollar by the company, which also offers a paid program for employees who want to volunteer their time to community charities.
FCTG is working to reduce office-related emissions by adopting a number of initiatives as outlined below. In most of its individual countries of operation, the company has also established direct links with environmental groups to provide customers with the option of offsetting emissions related to their personal and corporate travel.
FCTG is actively working to reduce energy usage by:
- Using sensor lighting in all head office locations
- Installing energy efficient lighting in new tenancy areas, including open plan offices and meeting rooms
- Installing blinds to minimise cooling and heating costs
- Installing multi-purpose devices to reduce the number of appliances in use
Recycling & Waste Reduction
FCTG has taken significant steps to reduce its waste by:
- Ensuring recycling bins are available and accessible
- Printing information only when necessary and moving towards double-sided copying
- Donating old computers and cell phones to charities for re-use.
- Sourcing and using recycled, unbleached, 100% post-consumer paper
FCTG has initiated an Environmentally Sustainable Design program for its retail shops. This system imposes guidelines relating to:
- Fit-out materials, including timber usage, lighting and signage
- Equipment, including water fixtures and fittings; and waste management.
FCTG has a strong health and fitness culture and seeks to provide its people with facilities that allow them to walk, cycle or run to work. Where possible, the company installs bicycle racks, showers, change facilities and lockers in its head office properties. The company has introduced a new sales structure that allows some travel agents to work from home, thereby reducing commuting-related carbon emissions.