Our Tech Summer Internship program is the perfect opportunity for you to discover how tech and trading can join forces to make an impact on global financial markets.
Kickstart your learning in our global offices, alongside your peers. You'll have the exclusive opportunity to commence your training in Sydney, before returning to Singapore to put your knowledge into practice.
With guidance from your mentor and team, you'll lead entrepreneurial projects that solve Optiver’s real-world challenges. In just a few weeks, you’ll develop latency-critical applications that help improve global financial markets. Plus, if you’ve excelled over the summer, you could receive an offer to return as a Graduate Software Engineer.
With Optiver’s internship program, your work improving the market starts today. Apply now.
Who we are
Optiver is a global tech-driven trading firm, with offices in Amsterdam, Sydney, London, Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei, Chicago and Austin. Founded in 1986, today we are a leading liquidity provider, with close to 2,000 employees in offices around the world, united in our commitment to improve the market through competitive pricing, execution and risk management.
By providing liquidity on multiple exchanges across the world in various financial instruments we participate in the safeguarding of healthy and efficient markets. We provide liquidity to financial markets using our own capital, at our own risk, trading a wide range of products: listed derivatives, cash equities, ETFs, bonds and foreign currencies.
What you’ll do
- No previous experience in trading or financial markets?
- You bring the passion and we'll have the training to support you along the way.
As our Software Engineer Intern, you'll take ownership of critical projects right from the start. Whether it's developing ultra-low-latency exchange protocol encoders and decoders, or fine-tuning our automated trading strategies and pricing models, your goal is to find the simplest and cleanest solution to the problem at hand.
You’ll experience the excitement of a fast-paced development cycle – owning a tight feedback loop, testing and shipping your code to production. You could be working on a change to a trading system in the morning and see it running live in the afternoon. Our collaborative culture means you’ll work closely with Traders and other Engineers to identify and solve problems that make a tangible impact on the business.
By the end of the internship, you’ll have learnt the ins-and-outs of our trading systems and the engineering concepts that make them successful.
Aside from technical skills, our Head of IT Education will also work with you on your development, including:
- Workshops on a variety of tech-based topics, along with soft skills to support your holistic growth as an engineer.
- A dedicated mentor who will guide you through our development process and how our trading systems work
- Trader training to get you up to speed on our business. This helps you understand the fundamentals of trading, enabling you to make an impact from the early stages of your Optiver career.
Discover the exciting projects you could work on during your internship.
Read Brenda’s story
Read Richard’s story
Read Marcus’s story
Read Lena’s story
Who you are
You’re a problem solver at heart. You won’t stop until you’ve found a solution and then you'll take one step further to improve it. In addition, you’re:
Keen to create high-performing, low latency designs that critically impact trading success
Curious to learn and comfortable discussing/exploring complex technical ideas
You have a range of out-of-classroom projects or extra-curricular activities that demonstrates your passion in technology, particularly software development
Keen to work alongside the best engineers and traders in the industry, with the humility to continually upskill and improve yourself
Knowledgeable about object orientated design and development concepts (experience with C++, C# or Java is required for our technical assessment)
What you’ll get
- The chance to work alongside diverse and intelligent peers in a rewarding environment
- We offer competitive remuneration, including an attractive bonus structure and additional leave entitlements
- Corporate health insurance
- Training, mentorship and personal development opportunities
- Weekly in-house chair massages
- Daily breakfast and lunch
- Regular social events
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.
- Optiver encourages Singaporean nationals to apply
- A penultimate or pre-penultimate university student
- Job type:Internships
- Disciplines:Accounting, Actuarial Studies, Banking and Finance,...
- Work rights:Other Citizenship Status, Singapore Permanent...
- Locations:Singapore (Singapore)
- accepts international
- Closing Date:8th Oct 2023, 3:59 pm