About the Qantas Graduate Program
When does the Qantas Graduate Program commence?
The Qantas Graduate Program commences each year in February.
Can I apply for the Graduate Program if I applied the previous year?
Yes, applicants are eligible to apply for the Qantas Graduate Program again the following year. Graduates should have completed their studies in any of the two years preceding commencement of the Program.
Can international students apply for the Qantas Graduate Program?
Yes, however, applications will only be accepted from applicants who hold Australian permanent residency or citizenship at application stage.
Can Qantas sponsor me for a work visa or to become a permanent resident?
To be considered for the Qantas Graduate Program you must be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen or a Permanent Resident at the time of application.
Which Stream is right for me?
- General Graduate: Our General Graduates hold all types of degrees and generally have a keen interest in working in the Aviation industry. You'll have the opportunity to work across diverse business areas such as Customer, Operations, Commercial and Corporate Strategy. All rotations are designed to build broad knowledge and skills and form professional networks to fast track your success as a future leader at Qantas. This program is really what you make of it!
- Finance Graduate: As a Finance Graduate you'll have the opportunity to work in our Centre of Finance Excellence, business partner with our Domestic or International Teams and our specialist teams such as Treasury and Tax. We're looking for individuals who have an accounting or finance degree that is an accredited tertiary course recognised for entry to the CA and CPA program(s). During your time on the Finance graduate program not only will you have the opportunity to work across the Group, we will pay for you to undertake your CA or CPA qualification.
- Technology Graduate: Technology is at the core of driving our vision to always be first choice for customers, from our market leading inflight WIFI connectivity, to our faster, smarter check-in solutions, right through to fitting out our brand new 787-9 Dreamliner fleet. As a Technology graduate at Qantas you will be at the forefront of new technology, designing and implementing solutions that will have real customer value. You could find yourself designing our latest app features, building out artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms, investigating applications of block chain, or testing out new technology deployed onto our aircraft. We're looking for individuals who share our passion for technology-driven innovation and are willing to seek out the next wave of solutions that will fuel our growth. If you are ready to kick start your career as a game changing technologist this is the opportunity for you.
Please keep in mind, it’s not all about your degree, we're looking for well-rounded graduates whose values align to ours, who are involved in the community, participate in extra-curricular activities and have some work experience. That’s a bonus!
Is it considered an advantage to have post graduate qualifications or a double degree?
Applicants are assessed against a range of areas including academic achievement, work experience, extra-curricular activities as well as skills and capabilities. Qantas is looking for well-rounded applicants.
If I receive an offer for the Qantas Graduate Program, and I accept, can I start early?
Our Graduate Program is designed so that all our Graduates move through our induction and step-by-step guided development at the same time therefore all Graduates will start with us in early February.
Where will I be based?
All offers will be based at Qantas HQ in Mascot, Sydney. You must be willing to relocate to Sydney to be eligible for the Qantas Graduate Program.
What’s the Graduate salary?
Qantas offers graduates a competitive market salary. Further details will be discussed with you as you progress throughout the recruitment process.
Does Qantas offer relocation assistance?
Qantas will provide basic relocation assistance to successful interstate applicants while they are looking for permanent accommodation. No additional assistance will be provided.
What development support will I get as a Graduate?
Your ongoing development will be a focus throughout the Program. Our Development Program integrates on the job experience, coaching, formal classroom learning, performance planning and feedback to support a 70:20:10 approach to learning where:
- 70% of learning & development takes place from real-life and on-the-job experiences, tasks, and problem solving
- 20% comes from feedback and from observing and working with role models
- 10% of learning and development comes from formal training
How long is the Qantas Graduate Program and can I finish the program earlier than two years?
The Qantas Graduate Program runs for two years and consists of 4 x 6 month rotations. The rotations are designed to broaden your skills, knowledge and networks by enhancing your business acumen, building your leadership and management capabilities and strengthening your knowledge of the aviation industry. The Program cannot be finished in less than two years.
What areas of the business could my rotations be in?
As a General Graduate your rotations will span across Commercial, Customer, Operational and Corporate/Specialised areas.
As a Finance Graduate you'll have the opportunity to work in our Centre of Finance Excellence, business partner with our Domestic or International Teams and our specialist teams such as Treasury and Tax.
As a Technology Graduate you could find yourself designing our latest app features, building out artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms, investigating applications of block chain, or testing out new technology deployed onto our aircraft.
What are my job prospects after the Qantas Graduate Program?
Upon the successful completion of the Qantas Graduate Program, you will work with the Graduate Program Manager and business contacts to identify suitable roles that are available internally.
Will I receive career guidance when I finish the Qantas Graduate Program?
Throughout the Qantas Graduate Program you will receive formal and informal career guidance. Your Graduate Program Manager, Rotation Managers, Mentors and Group Organisational Development Manager will support you throughout and when rolling off the Program as will the skills you develop in your rotations.
The Recruitment Process
What are the minimum requirements?
- Must be in your final year of study or have completed an undergraduate degree or postgraduate study within the last 2 years
- Must be a permanent resident or Australian / NZ citizen as at the date of application
- Must hold a current distinction average or above
- Finance graduates must have completed a degree in an Accounting or Finance related discipline that is an accredited tertiary course recognised for entry to the CA and CPA program(s)
- Technology graduates must have completed a degree in IT or a degree with an IT major
- Must be able to commence full time work from February the following year
- Must be willing to relocate to Sydney for the Program
- Ideally have previous work experience
- Ideally take part in extra-curricular activities and/or other leadership type roles
What are the key stages of the Qantas Graduate recruitment process?
- Applications Open
- Applications Close
- Online Talent Simulation
- Online Ability Test
- Video Interview
- Assessment Centre
- Formal Interview
Can I apply for all streams i.e. Finance, General and Technology Stream(s)?
In your application you will be asked to apply for one of the streams, you will not be able to apply for more than one. Once you select your preferred option in your application, you will not be able to change this by reentering the online application portal. Be confident in your selection and choose the program that you are most passionate about.
What if I only have a credit average, can I still apply?
If you currently hold a credit average or graduated with the same, we would encourage you to still apply.
What happens in an assessment centre?
Assessment centres involve group and individual activities. You can’t really prepare for the activities in an assessment centre, but to do well, it’s a good idea to research Qantas, relax, smile, communicate clearly and give others in the group activities a chance to speak too!
Will Qantas pay for my accommodation and flights to attend interviews and assessment centres if I live interstate?
If you are successful in proceeding through the application stages Qantas will provide assistance with flights only (no accommodation) for you to attend any required interviews and assessment centres.
Can I send a hard copy of my resume or email my resume directly to you instead of applying online?
No, all applications must be submitted online.
Who do I contact if there is an issue with my application or I am not longer able to attend the assessment centre?
Please send an email to [email protected].
Why does it sometimes take a while to hear back about my application?
Qantas is fortunate to receive thousands of applications. To assess each one fairly we do ask for your patience. The Talent Acquisition team will keep you updated via email as soon as possible at each stage of the selection process.
When does Qantas make offers?
From June, early July onwards, you can expect to be discussing offers with us. Of course, we’ll keep you updated at each stage of the process leading up to that point. And remember, not all offers are made on the same date.
I have applied for the Qantas Graduate Program, when will I be contacted?
After applications close, the Talent Acquisition team will review all applications and shortlist successful candidates.
How will I know you’ve received my application?
You will receive confirmation via a pop-up message acknowledging the receipt of your application once submitted. Once you are logged in, the system will also show your application status as “in progress”.
Is it possible to update my details once they have been submitted?
It is not possible to update the information which you have included in your application. If there is a requirement to update your details, please e-mail [email protected].
I can’t remember my username or password, what can I do?
If you have forgotten your username and password, you can retrieve these details from the application site. Simply click ‘Forgot your username’ or ‘Forgot your password’ and an email with these details will be sent to your account