The Victorian Government
We want Victoria to be innovative and reflective of the community we serve. Graduates join us because we offer meaningful work that directly impacts Victorians and offers incredible career opportunities. No other employer has such a diversity of roles. Work in a place where you can live our shared values, including integrity, respect and human rights.
The graduate program
You can apply to the project delivery stream if you have majors in architecture disciplines, engineering disciplines, landscape architecture, construction disciplines, project management (or project management equivalent). In the project delivery stream, you’ll work on how the government develops, designs and constructs high-profile public infrastructure. You'll be trained in specific skills that you’ll be able to use in project-delivery in the public service and private sectors.
Complete 3 rotations in different departments over 12 months. You'll contribute to important work and make connections across government. Along the way, you'll develop your talents and find new passions.
- 3 different roles in different government departments/agencies
- A structured learning and development journey
- Participation in executive mentoring
- A promotion and pay rise to more than $74,000 on successful completion of the program
- Collaboration with a large cohort of like-minded graduates
- Contribution to a variety of exciting initiatives
- Opportunity to learn about the Victorian Public Service
- Verbal and written communication
- Problem solving and analytical mindset
- Teamwork and stakeholder engagement
- Completed your undergraduate or postgraduate degree or the same as level 7 and above of the Australian Qualifications Framework between 1 January 2020 and 1 January 2023.
- Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident or have unrestricted working rights in Australia at time of application.
- Not be on a temporary graduate visa.
- Not have taken a voluntary redundancy from the Victorian public sector in the 3 years up to the program start date of 23 January 2023.
You will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status or exemption if you are successful in receiving a formal offer to join the program.
All our roles are based in Victoria. You will negotiate your flexible and hybrid work arrangements with your employer in each rotation. The Victorian Government’s flexible work policy aims to strike a balance between your needs and the requirements of the role and team.
- Online application form
- Online assessment
- Video interview
- Assessment centre
- Employment offer
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander pathway
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander pathway provides culturally appropriate guidance and support to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants through the recruitment and selection process. You'll be supported by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander staff and other experienced professionals during the recruitment process and your career within the Victorian public sector. The pathway is part of the Victorian public sector’s 5-year Aboriginal employment strategy, Barring Djinang.
The disability pathway provides graduates with disability access to safe, inclusive support and workplace adjustments from a dedicated professional. It enables us to better understand you as an individual and assists with equitable access throughout the entire recruitment and selection process. It can also include support during the graduate year. The disability pathway is consistent with the Victorian Government’s Getting to Work disability employment action plan.
How to apply
The 2023 Victorian Government graduate program applications are open between 25 July to 9:59 am AEST 29 August 2022. We are accepting applications for our generalist and project delivery streams.
Apply now at grads.vic.gov.au.
Hear from our graduates
Read Evelyn’s graduate story: Evelyn hadn’t considered a career as a public servant and had no idea what to expect. She quickly realised it was a supportive environment where she could thrive.
Read Zack’s graduate story: Zack is a Yorta Yorta/Dja Dja Wurrung man who has used his degree in criminology and psychology to follow in the footsteps of his family by starting a career in the public sector.
Read Anna’s graduate story: Applying through the disability pathway provided Anna a wealth of support including guidance from mentors and the Graduate Disability Liaison officer.
Read Jess's graduate story: Jess has a passion for Victoria, recycling and low-waste living. She was thrilled to be offered a role with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
- Work rights:
Australian Permanent Resident, New Zealand...
- Work from home:
Employees are allowed to work remotely some of the time but most of the work is done at the company’s physical office. Remote work is considered a perk or a privilege. For example, an employee may work from home for 1-2 days per week.
- POSITION START DATE
Jan 2023 (approx)
$61,068 plus super
- Program Duration
- Closing Date:28th Aug 2022, 11:59 pm