Victorian Government law graduate program 2021
The Victorian Government
Victoria is a leader in innovation, progressive social change and infrastructure projects. You can be part of it. Graduates join us because we offer meaningful work that directly impacts Victorians and incredible career opportunities. No other employer has such a diversity of roles.
The graduate program
Complete 3 rotations in different departments over 12-months. You'll contribute to important work and make connections across government. Along the way, you'll develop your talents and find new passions.
The law stream is open to graduates with a Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor. As a graduate you will be responsible for conducting legal research, drafting advice, attending client meetings, attending court and VCAT hearings. Under guidance you will provide legal advice on a wide range of issues and assist with the preparation of briefings for senior representatives and the departments ministers. You’ll also receive vital guidance and support from a senior lawyer and actively develop and maintain effective networks within your respective department.
- 3 different law focused roles in different government departments or agencies
- A structured learning and development journey
- Support to complete your Practical Legal Training (PLT)
- Participate in law masterclass sessions
- Participation in executive mentoring
- Flexible working arrangements
- A promotion and pay rise to more than $68,000 on successful completion of the program
- Collaboration with a large cohort of like-minded graduates
- Opportunity to learn about the Victorian public service
- Verbal and written communication
- Problem-solving and analytical mindset
- Adaptability and resilience
- Teamwork and stakeholder engagement
- Technical skills in applying law
- Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor
- have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree between 1 Jan 2018 and 1 Jan 2021; and
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident or have unrestricted working rights in Australia at time of application; and
- not be on a temporary graduate visa; and
- not have taken a voluntary redundancy from the Victorian public sector in the 3 years up to the program start date of 27 January 2021.
- Online application form
- Online assessment
- Video interview
- Assessment Center
- Employment offer
Pathway for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
The pathway for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people provides culturally appropriate guidance and support to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander applicants through the recruitment and selection process. You'll be supported by Aboriginal staff and other experienced professionals during the recruitment process and your career within the Victorian public sector. The Aboriginal pathway is part of the Victorian public sector’s 5-year Aboriginal employment strategy, Barring Djinang.
Pathway for people with disability
The pathway for people with disability provides graduates with disability access to safe and inclusive support and adjustments from a dedicated professional. It enables us to better understand you as an individual and assists with equitable access throughout the entire process. It can also include support during the graduate year. This pathway is one way the Victorian Government is making employment opportunities fairer in line with the Getting to work disability employment action plan.
Hear from our graduates
Read about Chrissy’s year in our graduate program and the work she’s doing now on Family Violence Intervention orders
Read more about Osman’s graduate rotations and how he’s helping deliver new schools for Victoria How to apply
We are also accepting applications for our law and project delivery streams. Visit grads.vic.gov.au for more details.
The Victorian Government graduate program applications are open between Tuesday 21 July and Monday17 August 2020.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident,...
- Closing Date:16th Aug 2020, 11:59 pm