Thomson Geer is a large Australian corporate law firm with more than 560 people, including 116 Partners operating out of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. By size we are one of the 10 largest law firms operating in Australia, and the 5th largest independent Australian law firm.
Thomson Geer currently has 0 opportunities.
Select the following options:
We are a large Australian corporate law firm. We have around 500 people, including approximately 100 Partners operating out of our offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. By size, we are one of the 10 largest law firms in Australia. Our industry coverage and client work is diverse.
SPECIALIST PRACTICE AREAS
- Advertising & Marketing
- Banking & Finance
- Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical
- Competition & Regulation
- Construction & Projects
- Corporate & Advisory
- Employment, Workplace Relations & Safety
- Energy & Resources
- Environment & Planning
- Funds Management & Financial Services
- Gaming & Leisure
- Health, Aged Care & Retirement Villages
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Media, Broadcasting & Entertainment
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Superannuation & Wealth Management
About our Clerkship Program
We offer a structured program where Clerks learn through a combination of hands-on experience, training, coaching and observation.
During your clerkship with Thomson Geer you will:
- participate in a structured induction program spread out over the course of your clerkship
- undertake meaningful work for real clients, including opportunities to attend client meetings, observe court proceedings, conduct legal research, draft correspondence and court documents and develop technical skills in areas such as drafting, due diligence and disclosure
- have the assistance and support of a supervising partner as well as a junior lawyer who remembers what it was like to be a new clerk and can act as a buddy and mentor
- have weekly catch ups with your mentor and with People & Development
- have access to fantastic technology and research resources
- participate in a formal performance review process with your supervising partner and mentor to reflect on your development and capture feedback from your colleagues.
What Qualities Does the Firm Look for in a Potential Clerk?
We are looking for hard-working and motivated law students who have excelled academically, are client focused, commercially minded, work well in a team environment and are enthusiastic about commencing their career with a dynamic law firm.
We are especially keen to talk to students who have an additional technical degree!
All of our clerks are viewed as potential graduates, and all of our graduates as potential leaders. We therefore look for the same qualities in our clerks and graduates that our lawyers need to possess.
Our lawyers are genuinely interested in our clients and their businesses. They need a critical and curious mind and are passionate about developing solutions in their commercial context. Our lawyers work constructively in diverse teams with both senior and junior practitioners across legal disciplines and jurisdictions.
Our Graduate Program
Students who complete a clerkship with the firm will be eligible to be considered for a position in the firm’s next graduate program, commencing in 2020. In Sydney, our program runs for 12 months and includes rotation among different practice areas to help determine the area of law which best suits you.
This program is geared towards expanding your skills across a range of practice areas. You will be able to express your preference for the areas of practice through which you would like to rotate.
All Thomson Geer graduates complete comprehensive training in-house, as well as structured external training which will support them to become well-rounded and technically competent practitioners, fully qualified to gain admission to practice.
Our comprehensive New Lawyer Training program provides our graduates with skills that aren't taught in the classroom; structured, real world development to set our graduates up as high functioning and savvy practitioners. Following the graduate program, all of our employees can access our comprehensive in-house continuing professional development program, and are encouraged to attend external training that will benefit their careers. We also have a Study Assistance program should our employees choose to undertake additional studies.
Work life balance – yes, it does exist!
The law is an incredibly rewarding profession, however at Thomson Geer we also recognise that it can be demanding. For this reason our environment is flexible, friendly, personable, collegiate and professionally stimulating.
We work hard to enhance this culture through transparent and authentic communication, and by ensuring we are respectful and accountable to each other every day.
Wellbeing has a significant impact on motivation, morale and performance at work. Our [email protected] program supports employees to maintain a healthy, balanced lifestyle. Our active social committee ensures there are lots of opportunities to develop close relationships with colleagues. Our lawyers and other staff also practice their teamwork outside of the office by participating in various sporting teams.
A snapshot of some of our benefits:
- Access to a free, confidential counseling service for employees and their immediate family
- In-house exercise programs such as yoga
- Corporate health insurance rates
- Healthy breakfast provisions and fresh fruit daily
- Flu vaccinations and skin checks
- Ability to 'purchase' additional annual leave
- Paid parental leave benefits
- Flexible work policies
- Community service leave
- Study assistance and study leave
- End of Financial year and Christmas functions
- Social Club activities
- Discounted goods and services through our clients and commercial partners
- Friday night drinks
- Sporting teams