King & Wood Mallesons is one of Australia’s leading commercial law firms and the only top-tier global law firm headquartered in Asia. We work with some of the world’s leading brands and offer all our people the opportunity to excel. A career at King & Wood Mallesons is unique and challenging with clear rewards.
3 jobs available
If you’re interested in working at King & Wood Mallesons, understanding when they have opened up applications for their graduate programs, graduate jobs and internships is helpful knowledge to have so you know when you might need to apply. Use the below information to see when King & Wood Mallesons hires graduates, but more importantly what graduate degree’s and other student attributes they target for their jobs.
Recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. We have 2000 lawyers in 27 locations around the world working with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our clients.
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia, we help clients to open doors and unlock opportunities as they look to Asian markets to unleash their full potential. Combining an unrivalled depth of expertise and breadth of relationships in our core markets, we are connecting Asia to the world, and the world to Asia.
We take a partnership approach in working with clients, focusing not just on what they want, but how they want it. Always pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved, we are reshaping the legal market and challenging our clients to think differently about what a law firm can be.
To find out more about our practice groups and sectors please click here
Our clients range from a mix of global financial and corporate powerhouses through to the new industry-makers and all levels of government (some for over 200 years).
We are the only law firm able to practise Chinese, Hong Kong, Australian, English, US and a significant range of European laws under one integrated legal brand.
The King & Wood Mallesons network extends across the following regions:
- Asia Pacific (Australia, Mainland China including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore)
- Middle East
- North America
The global network is strategically positioned in the world’s growth markets and financial centres, we’re on the ground where you need us most.
Our belief in the power of together delivers the best results for our people, our clients, and the firm. We operate as one family, one firm working collaboratively and supporting each other across all cultures.
We are committed to making KWM a Great Place to Work and Grow – a place where we maximise both performance and wellbeing in a sustainable way to enable our people to flourish. We know that an engaged and motivated KWM team enhances our own experience, the experience we give to each other and the experience of our clients.
With us, you will play a key role in shaping the future of the firm and we invest heavily in development to support you in fulfilling your greatest potential.
KWM’s market leading Graduate Education Program is designed to positively enhance your graduate learning experience. It is aligned with the firm’s strategic priorities and will provide you with the knowledge and skills you need for professional and personal growth – in order to become the best you can be.
King & Wood Mallesons is a platform to achieving amazing things. Are you ready?
Our people are encouraged to shape their own career path, supported at every step with world-class training, coaching and hands-on experience. There is no ‘one size fits all’ career model, we understand that there are many different pathways that can lead to rewarding careers.
Our graduates are critical to the success and evolution of our business. At King & Wood Mallesons, we let you go beyond the law to become what you want to be.
You will be offered a unique training experience with multiple rotations and a bespoke comprehensive learning and development program. We invest heavily in learning and development to support you in fulfilling your potential.
Our Graduate program provides a practical business foundation for junior lawyers where you will learn:
- Meaningful work covering a wide range of practice areas;
- Client contact and an in-depth understanding of how they operate in a commercial and regulatory environment;
- The opportunity to work with a range of partners, senior associates and solicitors in different practice groups;
- A practical understanding of areas of our legal practice; and
- A comprehensive knowledge of the firm, our technology, our resources, our processes and, of course, the people you’ll work with.
- As part of the Graduate Program, we also offer a Practical Legal Training (PLT) course with the College of Law to our Australian Law Graduates, ensuring that you meet the requirements for admission to legal practice.
Gain insight into what some of our graduates have to say about their graduate learning experience.
Area of rotation: Mergers and Acquisitions
“I feel as though I have slowly transformed into a more confident and efficient version of myself. I have learnt a great deal so far from the graduate program, in particular, how to balance multiple tasks, express my opinions and immerse myself in the firm’s culture and pro bono sector”.
Area of rotation: Banking & Finance
“Participating in such a comprehensive training program has been a great opportunity to meet amazing people across the firm while developing a practical understanding of different areas of law”.
Area of rotation: Mergers and Acquisitions
“We learnt comprehensive technical skills and also received insights from the lawyers about how they promoted their development and wellbeing”.
As the name suggests, the Insight program will give you a high level overview of how King & Wood Mallesons is structured, what areas of law we practice and the type of clients we work with.
As part of Insight we will give you:
- A high level overview of how King & Wood Mallesons is structured, what areas of law we practice and the type of clients we work with.
- An in-depth look at particular matters in the firm.
- A chance to listen to some of our staff talk about their experiences supporting our community programs including pro bono legal services, charitable giving, volunteering initiatives and community partnerships.
- Plus the opportunity to shadow one of our lawyers.
The Insight program is aimed at law students who are not yet able to apply for a summer clerkship i.e. pre-penultimate, and who are keen to gain some further knowledge and experience to assist them in the clerkship recruitment process. However, if you are eligible for a clerkship this year but are unable to participate (e.g. overseas exchange), and would like to participate in Insight please contact us.
Visit our website for key dates https://careers.kwm.com/en/graduates-australia
Our Graduate Program promotes and supports an integrated approach to learning, where you build capability through a range of “formal” and “informal” learning experiences, ranging from day-to-day work activities, through to the more traditional face-to-face learning programs.
We enable graduates to gain on the job experience with rotations across different practice areas and access to a greater choice and variety of destinations – with opportunities to complete a rotation in one of our interstate or overseas offices.
Our graduates are very important to shaping the future of the firm, and we invest heavily in development to support them in fulfilling their potential:
- KWM’s market leading program is designed to have a positive impact and enhance the graduate experience. It is aligned with the firm’s strategic priorities and provides our graduates with the knowledge and skills they need for professional and personal growth to become they best they can be.
- Tailored for the graduates, the program has an emphasis on legal excellence; technical expertise; commercial skills; knowledge management; legal project management; innovation; social and self-development and client focus.
- The holistic program complements formal training and development with on-the-job learning, with the training schedule aligned to the graduates’ rotations.
- All graduates attend an intensive induction when they join the firm. In each rotation graduates attend a comprehensive practice group Induction, specific to their group. All graduates come together again throughout the rotations for a series of sessions which build on the foundations covered in Induction.
Our clerkships will give you a clear picture of what it’s like to be a lawyer at King & Wood Mallesons. You will get to know our people, our culture, practice areas, clients and more.
You will work in one or two different practice groups depending on the length of your clerkship. You will be allocated a supervisor in each of your practice groups and you’ll work closely with the partners, senior associates and solicitors in that team. It’s a hands-on role so you won’t just be watching from the sidelines.
Clerks have described King & Wood Mallesons lawyers as "approachable, having a sense of humour, good work ethic, a pleasure to work with, both clients and work colleagues". Others have emphasised the "ability to build strong and enduring relationships, based on trust, getting things right, focused and technically excellent".
Find out what our clerks have to say:
Summer clerk intake: 2018/2019
Areas of rotation: Dispute Resolution; Mergers and Acquisitions
University: Australian National University
Degree: Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts
Click here for more information about Ada Sarno
Summer clerk intake: 2018/2019
Areas of rotation: Real Estate and Competition
Degree: Commerce (Accounting)/Law
Click here for more information about Nathan Finch
Summer clerk intake: 2018/2019
Areas of rotation: M&A (Intellectual Property) and Banking & Finance (Project Finance)
University: University of Sydney
Degree: JD in Law
Click here for more information about Jamee Bender
Choosing the right firm for you is a big decision. Through our recruitment process, we aim to give you every opportunity to find out more about us. We are proud of our diversity and of the fact that people who come to join the team at King & Wood Mallesons do so from very different backgrounds and experiences, all of which come together to enable us to provide the very best possible work culture and service to our clients.
Our recruitment process is all about getting to know you, every application is carefully reviewed before making a decision. The recruitment process may vary between different offices. Typically, the recruitment process consists of:
- Completing your application form online – this consists of some written questions to help us get to know you and a practical task which replicates the work our graduates do each day.
- Undertake short video questions – this may take place at different stages depending on the office you are applying for. In this stage we will have the opportunity to hear directly from you.
- Attend your face-to-face interview – again, depending on the office you apply for, your interview may occur in 1 or 2 stages. The interview process is all about getting to know you and you getting to know the firm and gain insights into the type of work we do at KWM.
Our ‘LINK’ network has been created to further LGBTI inclusion and to stand as allies with our LGBTI colleagues.
In recognition of our commitments we have been recognized with Silver and Bronze Employer Status by the Pride in Diversity AWEI benchmarking awards. LINK now represents nearly 25% of our total workforce and is led by a LINK Leadership Group and a strategic business plan.
Our Innovate RAP has enabled us to refresh the way in which we collaborate, accelerate and drive our reconciliation efforts. Reflecting not only our commitment to reconciliation but doing what we can to empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, communities and organisations, we have named this initiative our Reconciliation & Empowerment Project (R&E).
Our R&E Program, underpinned by our Innovate RAP, is designed to build on the reconciliation commitments we made through our first RAP in 2016. The R&E Project reflects our firm’s values and demonstrates our desire to create a country where all people are deeply valued, have access to the support they need and have equal opportunities to flourish.
Diversity for us is not optional - it is fundamental to our business success and to creating our great place to work and grow.
Diverse teams cultivate different ideas, make unique contributions and offer innovative solutions. With an international client base such as ours, diversity enables us to deliver a service that reflects our clients’ needs, and deliver an exceptional client experience.
Some of our key diversity and inclusion priority areas are:
- Advancing gender equality
- Mainstreaming flexible and agile ways of working.
- Strengthening our cultural capability
- Strengthening LGBTI inclusion
- Creating more pathways towards Indigenous inclusion via our Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP)
In addition, one of our core inclusion priorities is to lead in wellbeing through a focus on both the everyday experience of our people and evaluating and redesigning the systems in our business model. Our approach to wellbeing is both preventative and holistic, encompassing physical, psychological, intellectual and social wellbeing.
Cultural capability is critical to our commercial success particularly being headquartered in Asia. We have a range of language and general education programs to help strengthen our knowledge and understanding along with a variety of cultural exchange networks who meet regularly to share ideas and insights.
Gender is one of our core priority areas in our Diversity, Inclusion & Wellbeing strategy. It also forms part of our overall business strategy to create a Great Place to Work and Grow. Our Gender Working Group is comprised of male and female partners who are drive and influence progress against our gender equality initiatives via a range of opportunities.
Over the past year the group has developed a comprehensive action plan which examines relevant systems and processes, leadership and behaviours, skills and capabilities which actively support gender equality. In addition our Gender Equality Network (gen-KWM) meets regularly to develop programs and strengthen gender equality awareness and education.