Comcare is the national authority for work health and safety and workers compensation. Our work is driven by our purpose to promote and enable safe and healthy work.
We work with employees, employers, service providers and other organisations to reduce harm in the workplace, aid recovery and return to work and promote the health benefits of good work. We also provide services to the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission and the Seafarers Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Authority.
Your learning and development are our priority. Throughout your career with us, you will have access to a huge range of workshops and training to take advantage of. Courses include stakeholder engagement, decision-making, influencing up, project management and financial management.
As a graduate you will be provided with a strong support network over the duration of the program. You’ll be allocated a buddy – a former graduate – to help you settle in and someone who is on hand to answer your questions. In addition to a buddy, you may also be allocated a mentor for support and guidance. The Graduate Coordinator is on hand to help you with relocation, your first day, learning and development and graduating from the program.
Kickstart your career in the Australian Public Service. Our graduate program offers two, 12-month streams: Legal Stream and Generalist Stream.
The Legal stream is open to graduates with a legal qualification and an interest in:
- Corporate and commercial law
- Administrative law
- Contract law
- Public / government law
- Criminal law
The Generalist steam is open to graduates from a range of academic backgrounds with an interest in:
- Information management and technology systems
- Commerce, finance and accounting
- Gathering and analysing data
- Research and innovation
- Preventing harm in the workplace
- Health and safety
Over the course of the program, you’ll take part in two placements and experience Comcare’s business through on-the-job training in different areas. Where you will be placed is based on your skills, experience and interests and requirements of the business area. We’ll support you with comprehensive learning and you will have access to a range of workshops and seminars to aid your career development.
All graduate positions are based in Canberra and commence in February each year.
To be eligible to apply, you must be an Australian citizen and completed a degree with a credit average or above within the last three years.
Indigenous Graduate Program
Open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander graduates, this program provides a rewarding career in the Australian Public Service. You’ll join the Comcare Graduate Program and take part in a 12-month structured learning and development program. Upon successful completion of the program, you’ll continue in a permanent full-time role.
Indigenous Apprenticeships Program
A pathway to start your career in the Australian Public Service, the 12-month Indigenous Apprenticeship Program offers roles in administration, policy and program development, service delivery, finance, human services and information technology.
Stepping Into Program
Comcare participates in the Australian Network on Disability’s Stepping Into Program. This is a paid internship specifically designed for university students with disability. The program will give you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and learn new skills through 152 hours of paid work over the summer or winter semester break.
- Apply online with your resume, transcripts and statement of claims addressing the selection criteria
- If selected, you will be invited to attend an interview
- Provide two current referees
To be eligible to work with Comcare, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be an Australia citizen
- Provide proof of any required qualifications
- Complete a police check and character check
- Undergo a security clearance (specific roles only)
- Meet certain medical requirements via a health assessment
- Not previously received a redundancy benefit from the Australian Parliamentary Service (APS) or an APS agency
- Achieve balance with flexible working options, wellness programs and employee assistance programs
- Office shutdown over Christmas so you can recharge your and spend time with family.
- Structured learning and development
- Up to $4,000 per year study assistance or five hours per week paid study leave
- Generous leave entitlements
By embracing diversity and building a workforce that reflects our society, we are able to offer better services to our customers and partners. Our diversity program comprises of a series of plans, groups and initiatives to help us create an inclusive workplace for all.
- The Comcare People Strategy 2019-2022 focuses on talent, culture and engagement
- Our Diversity and Inclusion Group is a group of volunteers who lead initiatives and events throughout the year
- We have a Diversity Champion who supports the development of strategies
- Accessibility Action Plan reflects our commitment to attract, recruit, engage and retain people living with disability
- Through our Reconciliation Action Plan, we work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the journey towards reconciliation