What you do and why you do it
The IT Intern is responsible to learn art of development, operations, delivery and support of modern software applications and infrastructure. They work closely with a variety of IT roles within the nib IT Group and other disciplines in cross-functional teams to deliver fully functional systems supporting a range of business needs.
Application Analysis and Development:
- By pairing with Software Developers, undertake analysis and development of nib applications in line with nib development methodology and best practice (back-end and front-end).
- Work closely with BAs, Designers, Software Developers, QEs and DevOps as part of cross-functional teams, to understand application requirements, participate in designs of applications and implementing those designs.
- Assist in developing appropriate design documentation for stakeholder sign-off.
- Where practical, automate the testing of applications including unit testing and integration/UI testing.
- Supporting Software Developers and ITOperations in preparation of production releases as required.
- Rectify production issues in a timely manner in accordance with system SLAs.
- Contribute to development of appropriate system documentation to ensure all team members can support all production systems
- Implement and comply with the nib WHS Management System.
- Take reasonable care for own health and safety as well as the safety of others at the place of work.
- Meet obligations required for the compliance category of this position.
- Able to produce written documents clearly, concisely, grammatically correct and containing information necessary to achieve their purpose
- Approaches work in an organised and systematic manner, effectively managing tasks, information and requests
- Effectively apply specialised knowledge and skills to perform work tasks
- Able to embrace change in a positive way and maintain open communication channels
Key technical and personal competences:
- Interest in some of the following aspects of IT discipline:
- Developing web/mobile applications
- Developing software systems
- Developing software tools
- Networking and System administration
- Strong interest in new technologies and trends
- Exposure to some of the commercially used development technologies, eg:
- # .NET
- C, C++
- Ruby Puppet, Chef
- Objective C, Swift
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Eager to learn and willing to be coached
- Willing to take ownership but also to ask for help when needed.
Applicants must be in the process of completing an IT degree at an Australian university.
In addition, experience with any of the following would assist the person in this position:
- Commercial development and/or system management/support experience
- Use of source control tools
- Some understanding of modern web/mobile application development patterns like: responsive design, multi-browser/multi-device support
- Some understanding or exposure to Continuous Integration and Delivery concepts
- Some understanding or exposure to agile development principles
- Increasing importance of design in software development
Also the applicant must be currently enrolled in an appropriate course/University program in order to receive scholarship payments if offered the scholarship.
- Job Type:Internships
Computer Science, Engineering Software, Information Technology
- Position Type:Full time
- Work Rights:
Australian Citizen, Australian...
- Closing Date:15th June 2018, 1:59 pm