Australian Government Graduate Program - Economist Stream
The Economist Stream gives successful graduates the opportunity to apply their skills and work on a diverse range of economic and research based projects with the Australian government’s leading economic policy analysts.
- Commence a full-time position in an Australian Government department or agency, with a generous salary range between $50,000-$80,000 a year
- Advance to a higher classification and salary at the successful completion of the 12-month program
- Undertake rotations in different work areas
- Access on-the-job and formal learning and development opportunities
About the role
As an Economist graduate in the Australian government, you will contribute to informing decisions on policies for the good of the Australian people. This includes working in areas across government fiscal and monetary policies, budgetary policies, domestic and international economic situations (including industries, regions and socioeconomic groups), and forecasting changes in the economic environment.
The graduate program offers targeted training and development to progress your skills, knowledge and confidence as a valued member of, and contributor to, the APS.
We are primarily looking for graduates who have studied Economics and Econometrics and are also interested in those who have completed a related degree/s who have a major or minor in Economics.
Benefits of being an Economist graduate include:
- Exposure to real time economic modelling and forecasting using specialist tools and approaches
- Opportunity to review, analyse and summarise data and information on financial, labour and other areas such as taxation, housing, retirement advice and investment, climate and energy and the small and family business sector
- Engage in policy research and development to assist to implement new policy measures for the Australian Government
- Access to valuable employee benefits including: industry competitive starting salary, excellent superannuation contributions, flexible working arrangements and more including supervisor support, and graduate networking opportunities
Find your fit
Successful applicants will be matched with a suitable position in a participating Australian Government department or agency. In 2022, more than 60 agencies placed graduates from the Australian Government Graduate Program.
You’ll have the opportunity to nominate your preferred placement when you apply.
Who can apply
The Economist Stream is open to final year students and graduates of Economics or Econometrics. Your degree can be a Bachelor of Economics or Econometrics, or a Bachelor degree in any discipline with a major or minor in Economics.
To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen
- Have or will have completed a Bachelor degree or higher by 31 December 2023
- Have completed your qualification between 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2023
- Be able to obtain and maintain a valid Australian Government security clearance once accepted into the program
- Be willing to undergo any police, character, health or other checks required
How to apply
The selection process for this program typically includes:
- An online application, where you’ll upload your resume, academic transcript and proof of your Australian citizenship
- Online testing and/or video interview, which may involve problem solving, numerical reasoning, and behavioural or emotional testing
- Assessment centre, where you might participate in activities such as panel interviews, group presentations or written tasks
- Matching and offers, where successful applicants are matched with a suitable placement in an Australian Government department or agency
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
- Work rights:Australian Citizen
- Work from home:Hybrid remote
Employees are allowed to work remotely some of the time but most of the work is done at the company’s physical office. Remote work is considered a perk or a privilege. For example, an employee may work from home for 1-2 days per week.
- Locations:Canberra, Regional New...
60k - 80k plus 15.4% super
- POSITION START DATE
Jan 2024 (approx)
- Closing Date:17th Apr 2023, 6:00 am
Enter an employer or university you want to find in our search bar.