Cumberland City Council is located within the fast-growing Central City District and is on the doorstep of two of Greater Sydney’s new cities, between the Greater Parramatta and Olympic Park (GPOP) area and the new Western Parkland City. The Central City District is benefiting from unprecedented city-scale infrastructure investments, making this an exciting time to join Cumberland.
Located 20km west of Sydney on Dharug country, with a population of 240,000 residents, Cumberland is the fourth most populous LGA in Greater Sydney. Cumberland boasts one of the most diverse communities in Australia, with people from many different backgrounds and cultures living alongside one another.
Our people are focused on driving community outcomes, programs and services to innovate, inspire and deliver change for the community we represent.
Cumberland City Council adheres to the principles of a child safe organisation and is committed to the care and protection of all children and young people. Council has worked hard to fulfil its community’s vision for Cumberland as a place where anyone can feel welcome, belong and succeed.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking an Environmental Health Officer to join our Health & Regulatory team. Cumberland City Council are a corporate partner with Environmental Health Australia and are an Industry Employer of choice!
The Environmental Health Officer provides services related to Environmental Health including public health, food safety and environmental issues. This role will provide technical advice to managers and other staff of council whilst completing inspections and responding to complaints. This role will assist the Team Leader Environmental Health and other members of the Council to ensure that the organisation meets all of its Legislative, Management Plan and Budgetary requirements.
Reporting to the Team Leader Environmental Health, this role will provide technical advice and support staff within Council as well as external agencies. This role will also assist the Trainee Environmental Health Officer in conducting their duties and their professional development.
The successful applicant will require:
- Degree Level qualifications in Environmental Health or equivalent and/or completing degree in Environmental Health or equivalent course within 3 months.
- Knowledge of Environmental Health best practices.
- Sound knowledge of the relevant Environmental Health legislation including Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997, Food Act 2003 (and Food Safety Standards), Public Health Act 2010, Local Government Act 1993 and all Regulations made thereunder.
- Experience in implementing inspection programs for; food surveillance, regulated systems, and skin penetration premises (including tattooists, beauty salons, hairdressers and acupuncturists).
- Experience in environmental monitoring, responding to pollution incidents, pollution investigations and enforcement procedures.
- Experience with the environmental assessment of Development Applications.
- Current Class C NSW drivers licence.
- Computer literacy.
Please note if you have applied for this position previously, please do not re-apply.
Download the position description here for more information.
Position information: This is a permanent, full-time position, working a 70 hour fortnight, with access to Council's 9 day fortnight Accrued Day Off (ADO) arrangement. Part time arrangements will also be considered.
This role is predominantly located at Council's Merrylands, with occasional travel required across Council worksites, and may be required to work across any of Council’s work locations.
Salary information: The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with the NSW Local Government (State) Award.
- Grade 12 of the Cumberland Salary Structure with a salary range of $88,660 to $101,920 per annum, plus 10.5% superannuation
- The commencing salary will be negotiated, taking into consideration the successful applicant's qualifications, skills and experience related to the role
- Leaseback vehicle
WHAT WE CAN OFFER
- We promote work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements including working from home opportunities
- Training and professional development opportunities available to develop skills and grow your career
- Leave entitlements including annual leave,15 days personal leave per year, parental leave and access to Long Service Leave after five (5) years (where applicable)
- Three (3) additional grant days of paid leave over Christmas (where applicable)
- Health and Wellbeing Programs to support our staff by providing access to online professional learning, paid leave to undertake annual skin checks, COVID-19 vaccinations and to donate blood
- Subsidies to assist with the cost of wellness and fitness activities
- Free access to Council owned swimming pools
- Access to Council's Fitness Passport Program and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Council is committed to providing an accessible, safe and inclusive workplace for all. If you require additional support or any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process, please let us know during the application process.
Successful applicants must be eligible to work in Australia and agree to provide information for pre-employment checks required for the position. This may include criminal record checks, qualification and licence checks, and proof of the right to work in Australia (please refer to the position description for the specific qualifications and requirements for this role). Copies of sighted documents will be kept by Council for its records as proof of verification.
Council's COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure has been designed and adopted to protect the health and safety of our people, our customers and the community. It is a condition of employment that all applicants produce evidence of their vaccination status as part of the employment screening process.
Enquiries: Telephone Stuart Nunn on 8757 9631 or Karen Boutler on 8757 9646 for further information.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Friday 12 August 2022
HOW TO APPLY
To submit your application for this position, please complete the questionnaire below. On the following page you'll be asked to attach your resume and any relevant qualifications (if required) to complete your application. Make sure you have these attachments ready before you apply as your application cannot be submitted until completed. You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
Engineering Environmental, Environment, Food Technology, Medical...
New South Wales,...
- Closing Date:13th Aug 2022, 12:00 am