IT powers our operations across the globe. Our team of over 500 passionate IT specialists are responsible for more than 400 applications, which are at the core of our airline’s critical functions; from reservations and online check-in to aircraft flight systems and flight crew roster systems.
About the Programme
Over the course of two years, IT Trainees will have the chance to work with the latest technologies and contribute to major projects that make a visible impact on airline operations and on the quality experience that we deliver to customers. The programme is designed for candidates with a passion for technology and aviation to offer an unparalleled start to a fulfilling career in information technology.
The programme provides a well-rounded learning experience in a wide range of IT disciplines through rotations, training, mentorship, opportunities to build connections and opportunities to innovate.
Over the course of two years, you will complete multiple rotations across various IT streams, allowing you to experience our broad IT functions first-hand and explore where your strengths and interests lie.
You will rotate to a combination of the following IT areas:
- Application Solutions (identifying business needs and making IT solutions a reality)
- Infrastructure (the enterprise-class platform that houses our applications)
- IT Service Management (keeping our IT services up and running 24/7)
You may even have the chance to rotate to areas outside IT, such as Customer Experience and Design, and Digital, providing a unique perspective of the role that IT plays in delivering value to our business units.
Your assigned rotations will allow you to:
- Work on technologies in e-commerce, business intelligence, security, customer relationship management or enterprise resource management
- Contribute to business analysis, system analysis, application design or development in IT projects
- Collaborate with multiple teams on Agile or Waterfall projects
- Apply software development best practices, standards, frameworks, governance or knowledge areas, including vendor management and quality management, for application development
- Participate in infrastructure engineering in areas of telecommunications, workplace, middleware, database or hosting
- Support the seamless operations and infrastructure of the airline by working in our IT Service Centre or other service management areas
Training, Mentorship & Development
Your development and growth are at the focus of the programme. Throughout the two years, you will be heavily supported via on-the-job training, performance management processes and one-on-one mentorship by our senior IT managers.
You will also receive on-going opportunities to build networks throughout the business, interact with senior managers and collaborate with IT specialists from various disciplines. The valuable connections you build with some of the brightest minds in the business and the broad professional skill set you gain will set you up for a long-lasting and successful career at Cathay Pacific.
You will be empowered to put forth your own ideas and materialise them through innovation projects. Through workshops that help you think outside the box, guidance from our design, development and business experts, and support from senior managers, the programme could enable you to create a product that generates business value for the airline.
The first of the innovation projects available to the public, the Cathay Moments app, was released in December 2016. Sparked from boredom while waiting for the plane at the gate, Cathay Moments now helps travellers create a more memorable and rewarding experience when they travel. From the product proposition to the coding to the creation of the app’s unique Cathay stickers, the app is developed and supported entirely by IT Trainees.
As new features continue to be rolled out to Cathay Moments, the programme continues to cultivate innovative ideas that could shape the travel experience.
Upon successful completion of the programme, you will be qualified as an IT specialist and take on a permanent role within our Application Solutions or Infrastructure and Operations teams. Roles include solution analyst, project manager, solution architect, infrastructure engineer or IT service centre analyst. We will endeavour to place you in an area that aligns with your interests.
Your development will be managed via our corporate Performance and Development Management process. You will also benefit from the direction of our IT Practice Management Group, which caters for technical training needs and facilitates communities of practice groups, where technical professionals support each other in building best-in-class practices in all IT streams.
The following will be essential for entry into the programme:
- Right of abode in Hong Kong
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent education qualifications) in IT or Engineering disciplines, or any related discipline that demonstrates your exposure to technology
- Strong academic results
- Business acumen and excellent analytical skills
- Strong problem-solving and influencing skills
- High learning agility, good initiator and passion to succeed
- Adaptable to cope with a dynamic, diversified and multi-cultural working environment
- Team player and able to work independently and cross-functionally
- Excellent English verbal and written communication and presentation skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Fluency in Cantonese and Mandarin is preferred but not required.
Offer of employment
- Job type:Graduate Jobs
Aviation, Information Technology
Hong Kong Permanent Resident, Hong...
Hong Kong (Hong...
- Closing Date:31st Dec 2019, 3:59 pm