About the program
Our cadetship is open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander law students who have completed at least one year of university study. You will have an opportunity to experience different areas of our business, depending on prior work experience.
Cadets typically work one to two days per week during semester, alongside full-time or part-time study. Depending on workflow at the time, additional days may be offered during semester breaks.
Cadets work closely with our lawyers who are specialists in their areas of legal practice. We will provide you with the opportunity to build new skills, knowledge and experience and to gain a greater understanding of our clients and their industries. The program supports you as you complete your studies by offering practical and challenging work and formal mentoring.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter and possess strong communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to work autonomously as well as in a team environment is also important for this role.
- Identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander.
- Currently enrolled in an LLB or JD (part-time or full-time).
- Studying at a Sydney-located university (including Wollongong and Newcastle University) or studying by distance education at another institution and able to attend work each week at our Barangaroo South office in the Sydney CBD.
- Going into the 2nd year of your degree or at any stage of your JD.
Please submit your cover letter, CV and academic transcripts. A screen shot of your academic transcript is sufficient if you do not have an official copy.
Your cover letter is the most important part of your application. Your cover letter should address the following:
- About you, including your background and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage.
- Your motivation for studying law.
- Why you are interested in a cadetship. What do you hope to get out of it?
- Why are you interested in Gilbert + Tobin?
- Your expected degree completion date and your availability for work from 1 February 2022.
- Job type:Cadetships
- Work rights:
Australian Permanent Resident, Australian Citizen
- Remote Friendly
- Closing Date:30th Sep 2021, 7:00 am