Join Optiver and accelerate your growth in a truly fascinating, high-performance environment.
WHO WE ARE:
Optiver is a tech-driven trading firm and leading global market maker. For over 35 years, Optiver has been improving financial markets around the world, making them more transparent and efficient for all participants. With a focus on cutting-edge engineering, data science and research, we actively trade on 50+ exchanges, where we’re trusted to always provide accurate buy and sell pricing – no matter the market conditions.
Optiver’s Sydney office is one of the primary players within Asian markets, trading a range of products. As an active participant on the Hong Kong, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Japan exchanges, we act as Optiver’s APAC head office.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
As our Software Developer Intern, you will take ownership of critical projects right from the start. Whether it is developing ultra-low-latency exchange protocol encoders and decoders, or fine-tuning our automated trading strategies and pricing models, or even just creating and extending user interfaces, your goal is to find the simplest and cleanest solution to any problem at hand.
If you enjoy a fast feedback loop and seeing the immediate impact of your work, Optiver is the place for you. You could be working on a change to a trading system in the morning and see it running live in the afternoon. Our collaborative culture means you’ll work closely with Traders and other Engineers to identify and solve problems that make a tangible impact on the business.
By the end of the internship, you’ll have learnt the ins-and-outs of our trading systems and the engineering concepts that make them successful. Our dedicated Head of IT Education will work with you on your development. And if you’ve excelled during the internship program, you may also receive an offer to return and join the team as a Graduate Software Developer.
Discover the exciting projects you could work on in the internship. Hear first-hand from some of our Graduates:
- Read Brenda’s story on delivering low-latency, high-throughput systems that improve our connectivity to the financial market.
- Read Richard’s story on navigating the world of automated trading – systems that make trading decisions.
- Read Marcus’s story on working in the risk and treasury team, where he monitors systems that manage and mitigate risk (e.g. trading risk).
- Read Aidan’s story on working in the Compliance IT team, where he manages systems that facilitate reporting and reconciliation.
- Read Lena’s story on production engineering, where they build tools and systems that enable us to trade smoothly.
WHO YOU ARE:
You’re a problem solver at heart, who won’t stop until you’ve found a solution. And then push yourself even further to improve it. In addition, you’re:
- Keen to create high-performance, low latency designs that critically impact trading success
- Curious to learn and comfortable discussing/exploring complex technical ideas
- You have a range of out-of-classroom projects or extra-curricular activities that demonstrates your passion in technology, particularly software development
- Keen to work alongside the best Developers and Traders in the industry, with the humility to continually upskill and improve yourself
- Knowledgeable about object orientated design and development concepts (experience with C++, C# or Java is required for our technical assessment)
WHAT YOU’LL GET:
- AUD $175,000 salary package, pro-rata
- Participation in our renowned training program, alongside diverse and intelligent peers in a rewarding environment
- Training, mentorship and personal development opportunities
- Daily breakfast, lunch and an in-house barista
- Regular social events
- Work-from-home allowance and support
- Accommodation for the entirety of the internship, and flights where necessary
As an intentionally flat organisation, we believe that great ideas and impact can come from everyone. We are passionate about empowering individuals and creating diverse teams that thrive. Every person at Optiver should feel included, valued and respected, because we believe our best work is done together.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion is hardwired through every stage of our hiring process. We encourage applications from candidates from any and all backgrounds, and we welcome requests for reasonable adjustments during the process to ensure that you can best demonstrate your abilities.
- A penultimate or pre-penultimate university student
- Studying a Computer Science, Software/Electrical/Mechatronic Engineering or similarly technical degree
- An Australian or New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or able to provide evidence of full working rights.
Does this sound like the future you’re looking for? Take up the challenge and apply today!
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity, please contact us at [email protected].
- Job type:Internships
Actuary, Arts and Humanities, Banking and...
- Work rights:
Australian Permanent Resident, New Zealand...
- Closing Date:14th May 2022, 7:00 am